Photos

Photographer's Note

Hi friends, today I offer this interesting detail of an old antique gallery in this Corcubion housing, then I offer a few letters on the galleries and Corcubion, hope you like.

The galleries, which are best represented by the set of grouped them in the houses of La Marina, but have plenty of examples in the city and county. These galleries are what led to the designation of Corunna as Crystal City. It is enclosed balconies with woodwork painted white and with a large area of ​​glass that function as miraderos and are characteristic of the houses in the Avenue Marina de La Coruña. The galleries are, in truth, the rear facades of the houses. From the nineteenth century and stem from the emergence of the market for flat glass and cut, initially manufactured in La Granja de San Ildefonso (Segovia). They arrived first at Ferrol for glazing the sterns of the galleons in the mid eighteenth century and were used to close the homes of Ferrol, Pontedeume, Betanzos and Corunna. The purpose was to allow sunlight enter the indoors avoiding the rain. There are also balconies of wrought iron and cast iron.


Corcubión is a Spanish municipality in the province of La Coruña (Galicia, Spain), located on the banks of the river of the same name. According to the INE, in 2008 had a population of 1,822 inhabitants. Its area of ​​6.52 km ² (IGE data), so does the smallest municipality of the province and at the same time the most densely populated. This town consists of only two parishes (Corcubión and Round), and is crossed by the C-552 that communicates with the neighboring municipalities and La Coruña to 94 km. The town was declared a Historic-Artistic Site in 1985.Corcubión sits on a small peninsula, rectangular shaped and surrounded by the town of Cee, enters the Atlantic Ocean between Estorde Cove and the estuary. In this small territory higher reliefs are around 150 and 200 meters high, being located in the center of the peninsula, from where they descend to the sea. In the noon-facing slope, sheltered from the winds and storms, lies the village of Corcubión. The coast is mainly rocky, with the exception of the section corresponding to the estuary, on this side, begins at Cape C and where, after a high cost industry where the castle of the Cardinal, is the beach and Quenxe then the port of the town. This land, formerly cultivated more space is mostly covered by dense forest more (pine and eucalyptus).Corcubión belonged to the county lock, but later passed into the hands of the Count of Altamira. During the Middle Ages, the village was the place of passage for pilgrims, after visiting Santiago de Compostela, continued to Finisterre route. During the struggle between Spain and England in the eighteenth century, the villagers armed several vessels. In August 1747, during the War of Jenkins's Ear, arrived from America Corcubión the ship of the line of the Spanish Armada Glorioso, landing in the village a load of 4 million silver pesos after being defeated in solo and successive clashes two English squadrons. The Glorious held in Corcubión emergency repairs before going to defeat another enemy squadron near Cape St. Vincent. The ship would finally caught in a rematch against British ships having exhausted their ammunition. This episode is known as the Glorious career. In the 13 and 21 April 1809, the French, knowing that both Corcubión as the neighboring town of Cee were preparing against him, attacked the area, the cruelty of the attack prompted people to flee to the mountains and the people taken over by the flames. The French sent 1000 men on 13, and 2000 infantry and 200 cavalry on day 21. On day 21 the defenders were aided by a party of marines led by a British naval officer. In January 1809 the French dragoons had already occupied the town, looting food and demanded money. He asked the Marquis de la Romana to send instructions on how to react, and he sent them a mail called Cayetano Melgar. The French intelligence service became aware of this and sent dragons on March 5 to imprison him and a French deserter who had taken refuge in the village. The village women stoned the French dragons until they were forced to go without the prisoners, which could cause cruelty when the French back again in April.
Source Wikipedia.
Make: SONY
Model: DSC-W170
Software: PhotoScape
Exposure Time: 10/1600 sec
F-Stop: f/10.0
ISO Speed Ratings: 800
Focal Length: 11.5 mm
Date Taken: 2011-07-08 14:25
Metering Mode: Pattern
Flash: Flash did not fire, compulsory flash mode
File Size: 274 kb

Photo Information
Viewed: 798
Points: 22
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angel cornejo (cornejo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 2444 W: 0 N: 5659] (30003)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH