Dunedin Railway Station is located in Dunedin, in New Zealand's South Island. Designed by George Troup, the station is the fourth building to have served as Dunedin's railway station. It earned its architect the nickname of "Gingerbread George".
Dunedin was linked to Christchurch by rail in 1878, with a link south to Invercargill completed the following year, and the first railway workshops were opened at Hillside in South Dunedin as early as 1875. Early plans were for a grand main station on Cumberland Street, but these never got any further than the laying of a foundation. Instead, a simple weatherboard-constructed station was built next to the site in 1884, though this was only ever intended to be a temporary structure. It took close to 20 years for government funding to be allocated to the new structure, and planning for the new station only really commenced as the 19th century was drawing to a close.
The logistics of constructing what would be (for a time) New Zealand's busiest railway station took three years before construction finally began in 1903. Dunedin, at the time a major commercial hub, required a station suitable to a wide range of activities: it was a commercial and industrial centre, close to still-active gold and coalfields, and was surrounded by a hinterland that was dependent on both livestock and forestry for its economy.
--- Wikipedia ---
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Eugene Fu (eugenefu) (493)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-10-27
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Pentax K-r, Pentax SMC DAL f/3.5 - 5.6 18-55mm AL
- Exposure: f/8, 1/750 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Beautiful Natural New Zealand [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2012-03-29 19:20