The famous Imambara at Hooghly was established by Hazi Mohammad Mohsin in 1836. Imambara means a place where people assemble for a religious purpose The gateway is flanked by lofty minarets, the walls are decorated with texts from the Koran and the interior has rich carvings and inlaid marble motifs.
Eighty-five large chandeliers, including Persian ones, and 165 smaller lamps light up the Imambara’s gorgeous halls and passages every Muharram, when pilgrims descend on the famous Shia pilgrimage site.
Hope you like it.
Thanks for visit.
- Copyright: Mrityunjoy Chatterjee (mrichat) (1030)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-03-10
- Categories: Castles, Architecture, Artwork, Ruins
- Camera: CANON EOS 550D, EF S18-55 IS
- Exposure: f/3.5, 1/400 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-03-15 22:01