Photos

Photographer's Note

The Marble Room, Royal Palace, Warsaw

The Marble Room functioned as the second vestibule in the state apartment and is the oldest interior in that apartment. It was furnished from 1640-42, during the reign of Ladislaus IV, according to a design by Giovanni Battista Gisleni and it was renovated by Jakub Fontana in the years 1769-71. Fontana did not make any changes to the basic elements of the original architectural design; he added twenty-two portraits of Polish kings, a ceiling painting by Marcello Bacciarelli and André Le Brun's statue of Justice and Peace over the mirror.

Royal Palace

The history of the Royal Castle goes back to the fourteenth century when the Great Tower was erected (see the map of the Castle – now called the Justice Court Tower).

In the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries during the reign of Sigismund III Vasa, the Castle underwent large-scale expansion and was transformed into a five-winged edifice with an inner courtyard. It was a royal residence, the place where parliamentary deliberations were held and the administrative and cultural centre of the country.

Destroyed in the middle of the seventeenth century during the Swedish Wars, it gradually regained its former magnificence during the reign of the Saxon-Wettin dynasty.

In the second half of the eigheteenth century, artists in the employ of Stanislaus Augustus (Jan Christian Kamsetzer, Marcello Bacciarelli, Domenico Merlini) reconstructed the interiors of the chambers, comprising the Great Apartment and the King's Apartment.

During the period of the partitions (in the nineteenth century) the major part of the collections of the last Polish king ended up in Russia.
After Poland regained its independence, some of the works of art were reinstated to their rightful place in the Castle.

In September 1939 the Castle was bombed by the Germans; however museologists, under the leadership of Professor Stanisław Lorentz, managed to salvage some elements of the interiors and also some of the works of art.

In September 1944 the Castle was blown up by the Germany army.

In the years 1945-1970, the Communist authorities delayed making a decision on whether to rebuild the Castle. The decision to do so was taken in 1971. Funds for the rebuilding of the Castle which took until 1980 were provided thanks to the dedication of the community.

In 1984 the reconstructed interiors were opened to the general public.

Since 1995 work has been undertaken on the conservation of the Kubicki Arcades and the reconstruction of the gardens. Once these works are completed, and the Tin-Roofed Palace refurbished, the rebuilding of the Royal Castle complex will have been finalized. (Source: zamek-krolewski.p)

Photo Information
Viewed: 3354
Points: 56
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH