The Lemkos' homeland is commonly referred to as Lemkivshchyna. Up until 1945, this included the area from the Poprad River in the west to the valley of Oslawa River in the east. This part of the Carpathian mountains is mostly deforested, which allowed for an agrarian economy, alongside such traditional occupations as ox grazing and sheep herding.
As a result of the repatriation of Ukrainians from Poland to the Soviet Union after World War II, the majority of Lemkos in Poland were either resettled from their historic homeland to the prеviously German territories in the North-Western region of Poland or to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
The old Orthodox church in village of Jaworki was 'rebranded' in Catholic.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Wiktor Czerwinski (MoreTravel) (855)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-10-10
- Categories: Nature, Architecture
- Camera: CANON 450D, 18-200mm 1:3.5-5.6 IS, 72 mm UV HOYA
- Exposure: f/9.0, 1/250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2010-10-11 0:48