Photos

Photographer's Note

About the story:

one more time a little excursion during my lunch-break, this time a 20 minutes stroll in the tiny little village of Hardenburg..a part of the city Bad Dürkheim..

About the picture:

this is one of the possible view´s in the little village of Bad Dürkheim - Hardenburg; here we have a look on an impressive castle and fortress in the background, and also on an impressive roof-construction in the middle of the picture..

some more captures and views will follow this week, hope you will enjoy it..

more details about the location:

from www.burgen-rlp.de (sorry, not only in german..)

Hardenburg Castle belongs to the most impressive castles of Palatinate. Even though being a ruin, the castle still is a tremendous complex. Hardenburg Castle was built before 1214 to protect the monastery Limburg. From the 13th until the 18th century the castle was inhabited by the Counts and later Dukes of Leiningen. Out of this lineage many bailiffs were brought up.

In the 16th century Hardenburg Castle was remodeled into a fortress. It was still called “castle” because of its living character. From this time on it belonged to the most significant castles of this type.

There are almost no remains of the original small castle left. Only remnants of a wall at the upper castle are the witnesses of its existence. In 1690 French troops occupied Hardenburg Castle during the Palatinate War of Succession (1688-97). They destroyed some of its outer works.

100 years later French revolutionary troops attacked the castle again and burned it down on March 29th 1794. Its whole furnishings and equipment were destroyed and the western bastion was blown up.

In the first decade of the 19th century Hardenburg Castle was robbed of most of its building material. Since 1947 it belongs to Rhineland-Palatinate. In the late seventies, late eighties and early nineties the castle was restored, so that visitors are able to walk safely around.

Visitors enter into the castle through a round tower-gate of the 16th century. Its diameter of 22.5 meters might have frightened some enemies in earlier times and is still impressive for today’s visitors.

Further highlights of the tour are the gun tower or the parapet, which is well preserved and partly passable. The 18 meters high gun tower with its worked out stone bullets had to represent the strength of the castle’s walls.

The western bastion, which had been built by Hans Jakob of Etting in 1550, is also very impressive. Even though it had been destroyed, it is still 27 meters high. With its walls of 6.80 meters thickness the western bastion still determines the outline of Hardenburg Castle.

From there visitors will get to the upper castle. Next to the living quarters and functional buildings there is a three storey high jail tower and a safe, which can be closed by a moving stone. Highly recommendable is the visit of the garden, which had been remodeled according to plans of 1587.

Next to the garden is a double-towered wall, which is called “Münze” (Mint).

Die Burgruine Hardenburg gehört zu den eindruckvollsten Burgen, die die Pfalz zu bieten hat. Trotz ihres ruinösen Charakters besticht sie allein durch ihre Größe. Erbaut wurde die Burg vor 1214 als Schutzvogtei des Klosters Limburg auf deren Grund und Boden. Vom 13. bis 18. Jh. bewohnten die Grafen und späteren Fürsten von Leiningen die Burg und stellten sämtliche Vögte. Im 16. Jh. wurde die Hardenburg zur Festung umgebaut, erhielt aber wegen des beibehaltenen Wohncharakters die Bezeichnung „Festes Schloss“. Fortan zählte sie zu den bedeutendsten Schlössern dieser Art.

Von der im Vergleich zur heutigen Anlage eher kleinen Ursprungsburg sind kaum noch Spuren vorhanden. Lediglich geringe Mauerreste auf der Oberburg weisen noch auf ihre Existenz hin. 1690 besetzten französische Truppen während des Pfälzischen Erbfolgekrieges (1688-97) die Hardenburg und zerstörten einige Vorwerke. Gut 100 Jahre später fielen erneut Franzosen, diesmal Revolutionstruppen, in Bad Dürkheim ein und brannten am 29. März 1794 die Burg nieder. Dabei wurde die komplette Inneneinrichtung zerstört sowie das Westbollwerk gesprengt.

Im ersten Jahrzehnt des 19. Jh. wurde die Hardenburg zu großen Teilen ihres Baumaterials beraubt. Seit 1947 ist sie in rheinland-pfälzischen Besitz. In den 70er, späten 80er und frühen 90er Jahren wurde die Ruine aufwendig saniert, damit den Besuchern ein sicherer Rundgang gewährt werden konnte.

Man betritt die Burg durch das 8 m hohe Tor-Rondell aus dem 16. Jh., das mit seinen 22,5 m Durchmesser schon damals Besucher beeindrucken und Feinde abschrecken sollte. Weitere Höhepunkte des Rundgangs sind beispielsweise der Kugelturm oder auch der noch gut erhaltene und teilweise begehbare Wehrgang. Der 18 m hohe Kugelturm sollte mit seinen ausgearbeiteten Halbkugeln die Stärke und Unverwüstlichkeit der Mauern der Hardenburg suggerieren.

Ebenfalls beeindruckend ist das von Hans Jakob von Etting um 1550 erbaute Westbollwerk, das trotz seiner Zerstörung noch 27 m hoch ist. Mit seinen 6,80 m dicken Mauern bestimmt es auch heute noch zum wesentlichen Teil das Aussehen der Burg. Vom Westbollwerk gelangt man zur etwa 9 m höher gelegenen Oberburg. Dort befinden sich neben Wohn- und Funktionsräumen ein dreistöckiger Gefängnisturm sowie ein Tresor, der mit einem Schiebestein verschlossen werden kann. Unbedingt empfehlenswert ist der Besuch des Ausfallgartens, der nach Plänen von 1587 wieder hergestellt wurde. Er wird durch ein schildartiges Mauerwerk begrenzt, das hier als „Münze“ bezeichnet wird.

vasilpro, JCG, danos, Ricx, Cretense has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 1579
Points: 30
Discussions
Additional Photos by bernd matheis (bema) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2806 W: 30 N: 3930] (26205)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH