Photos

Photographer's Note

The History of the Tavira

The existence of hill forts and megalithic monuments dates the human presence in Tavira municipality to the Neolithic period (4.000 to 1.500 B.C.). In the Chalcolithic and subsequent periods this presence was associated with the mining operations that flourished in the Northeast of the Algarve and with trading links with the Mediterranean.
It was on the coast however that the largest settlement grew up after the Roman conquest (1st century B.C.), thanks to the economic importance of fishing and the fish-salting industry. The major town of Balsa, situated near to Tavira and connected by road to Ossonoba (Faro) and Baesuris (Castro Marim), dates from this period.
Under Moorish rule (8th to 13th centuries), the strategic importance of Tavira's castle and port made it one of the biggest towns in the Algarve. It was the Knights of the Order of Sant'Iago (St. James) who occupied Tavira in 1242, continuing the Christian reconquest that began with the taking of neighbouring Cacela.
The conquest first of Ceuta (1415) and then other towns of North Africa had a decisive influence on Tavira's fortunes in the 15th and 16th centuries, as it became the chief port providing support, for the Portuguese garrisons overseas. During this period the town received a number of royal visits and in 1520 it was elevated to the status of city.
An outbreak of plague in 1645/46, the gradual silting up of the channel to the sea, which eventually prevented vessels entering the harbour, and the damage done by the earthquake of 1755 were all factors in a decline which left Tavira by the end of the 18th century with only a fraction of its former economic importance.
Tuna fishing - for which Tavira was the Algarve's main port - and the canning industry, breathed fresh life into the city from the last decades of the l9th to the middle of the 20th century. Today Tavira is a growing city, its renewed prosperity founded on tourism and fishing.

http://www.cimal.rtalgarve.pt

Nikon D40X
2009/09/03 19:52:53.8
Compressed RAW (12-bit)
Image Size: Large (3872 x 2592)
Color
Lens: 10-24mm F/3.5-4.5 G
Focal Length: 10mm
Exposure Mode: Manual
Metering Mode: Center-Weighted
6 sec - F/6.3
Exposure Comp.: 0 EV
Sensitivity: ISO 100
Optimize Image: Custom
White Balance: Preset
AF Mode: AF-C
Color Mode: Mode IIIa (sRGB)
Tone Comp.: More Contrast
Hue Adjustment: +6°
Saturation: Enhanced
Sharpening: High
Long Exposure NR: Off
VR Control: Off
High ISO NR: Off

Reserved copyrights: The present photograph is intellectual workmanship protected by law 9610/98 being forbidden to the reproduction for any way without the previous authorization in writing it author. Please contact Gonçalo Lopes

Photo Information
Viewed: 2997
Points: 68
Discussions
Additional Photos by Goncalo Lopes (Bluejeans) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9247 W: 115 N: 13285] (64247)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH