This image was taken at the end of an incredible buggy tour through the sand dunes that stretch several hundred feet high. I had only 3 shots to get a satisfying one, as the tour guide wanted to reach Huacachina before darkness. So I had to lie down to get my favourite composition. I used a Singh-Ray graduated ND filter (three f-stop, soft-step grade) to handle the high contrast between the sand dunes and the setting sun.
Huacachina is a village in the Ica Region, in southwestern Peru. It is located in the Ica Province, near the city of Ica.
Critiques | Translate
Jonathan_Tree (0) 2010-05-17 4:36
Amazing sand, wonderful desert. Very fine minimal take.
JFS (32457) 2010-05-17 8:06
Beautiful vertical composition. The light management is superb. Well done!
sandpiper (6762) 2010-05-17 13:26
Great use of the ND filter to get this high contrast scene. Good low-down POV and composition. A very interesting environment, well done.
- Copyright: Manuel Scharmanski (Manuel1982) (1142)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-02-24
- Categories: Decisive Moment
- Camera: Nikon D300, Nikkor AF-S 16-85 mm 1:3.5-5.6G ED VR, Heliopan 67 Circular Polarizer
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/5 seconds
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2010-05-17 4:29