Photos

Photographer's Note

CORPORAÇÃO MUSICAL SANTA CECÍLIA

"Rio Pomba has always been the pioneer town of art music in the Zona da Mata region, State of Minas Gerais, because since the installation of the village, in August 25th, 1832, already a band of music at the headquarters of the new municipality and were the rio-pombenses worshipers of divine Euterpe.

In the Portuguese Empire period gone existed in our town real artistic-literary academies, where cultivating the music in the foreground, followed by the theater, and the corner of the Reading Clubs with their libraries.

These entities recreational were: "Jeronimo de Sousa," "Fleming", "Guarani," "Progressistas" and others, where they highlighted composers and executors of renown as the maestro Francisco de Paula Trindade, Pedro Dias, Jorge Rodrigues de Coura, Elias Costa, Dr. Nominato de Souza Lima and the great composer Caetano Cardoso Duarte, who died in Visconde de Rio Branco town, in May 1st, 1892.

We can only describe a really interesting happened with the band for the Music Club Jerome de Sousa, on the occasion of the visit of Emperor Dom Pedro II to the Pomba, in July 1th, 1886, to inaugurate our railway station and branch line “Guarani – Pomba”.

To be honored in gare the station, His Majesty has been strongly impressed by the performance of the National Anthem and the presentation of beautiful uniform of that band.

He is knowledgeable of the art music, embraced with effusion (extensively to the other musicians), the maestro Trindade and famous clarinetist Jeremias Justiniano Carneiro, with whom programmed a band concert to be present, at sunset the same day, in the "Largo da Alegria"(1).

The band concert could not be held because an unexpected forced the return of S. Majesty to Rio de Janeiro before schedule.

In the Republican regime, during our youth, there were two bands of music in our town: the first, from the current "Santa Cecilia", conducting by the maestro Trindes Coelho; the second, known as "Carlos Gomes, under the leadership of the maestro Angelo do Carmo.

At the time of silent movies, the "Cine-Teatro Mineiro," owned by Mr. Francisco Canônico, as was the luxury of owning your own orchestra, which now appeared "Jujuca" and now the then lady Geralda Canônico to the piano; José de Assis Vieira the violin; Pedro de Araújo Clemente and other musicians as clarinetist selected the season.

In Rio Pomba departed for Europe the violinist Clóvis de Queiroz, there was success in various countries that participated in concerts, achieving several honors, awards and honorable mentions, bringing thus the name of our dear city in addition to land - sea.

The brothers Cyril, born in "Água Limpa" street are today regents of bands of glorious music of the Brazilian Army, as officers, and the officer Jose Olinto de Andrade, having included as pistonista in Banda of Trindes Coelho, was maestro for years of the Band Music of the 2nd BPM and suddenly the Symphony Orchestra of Juiz de Fora.

The family Marcelino Vieira da Costa composed itself, it all of musicians of the highest feedback, starting with the great composer José Marcelino Vieira da Costa, emphasizing is among their dozens of productions, the folded entitled "The Encrencado."
His brother, "Totônio Marcelino," was the best clarinetist of his time in Rio Pomba.
His sons, Joseph and Rômulo (deceased), Orlando, residing in Rio de Janeiro, and Anthony, inherited him the divine art and were all excellent musicians.

Orlando Vieira da Costa was the founder and first maestro of the Corporação Musical Santa Cecilia and he learned to sol-fa the first musical notes and to finger the thirteen keys of the clarinet, to incorporate in his band, the first side of this instrument there gone by from 1934-1935.

Founded on January 1, 1934, the first trials were conducted in the house of Antonio Marcelino. Subsequently, the current headquarters was built by musician and mason Nelson de Almeida, on the ground donated by Patricio Bernardo.

Other members: Joaquim Clemente Araújo, Manoel Clemente Araújo, Evilásio Flavio Ferreira, Jessé Vidal, Francisco Esteves, Silvio Senra, José Magalhães, Luis Caldoncelli Sobrinho, "Gustavinho," Francisco Gerbassi, José Mosqueira(2), José de Matos, José Otávio , Joaquim dos Reis Rocha.
The current maestro Jose Esteves Filho(3) there is thought us as a founding member and running with garbo and elegance, his beautiful saxophone."


-----------------------------------------------------
Source:
Santiago, Sinval - "Cidade de Rio Pomba, Síntese Histórica" (Rio Pomba Town, Historical Summary), Editora Imprensa Oficial, Belo Horizonte, 1991.
Text original, unamended time.

(1) Today is named Deputado Último de Carvalho Square.
(2) José Mosqueira, my dear father, who died in 1993, to 78 years.
(3) Maestro Jose Esteves, now deceased.
-------------------------------------------------------
Email: rbmosqueira@gmail.com

All Rights Reserved: Roberto Mosqueira Copyright.
Use in any form is forbiden without the written permission of the photographer.

Direitos Autorais Reservados: A presente fotografia é obra intelectual protegida pela lei 9610/98 sendo proibida a reprodução por qualquer meio sem a prévia autorização por escrito do autor.
Favor contatar Roberto Mosqueira
.

Nobody has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 5588
Points: 10
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Roberto Mosqueira (Roberto_Babo) Silver Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 15 W: 2 N: 44] (225)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH