Official residence of Princess Isabel and the Count d'Eu till the Proclamation of the Republic.
It was built around 1853 by its first owner, Baron Pilar, in 1874 and leased to the Count d'Eu, who acquired it in 1876.
Princess Isabel, was eldest daughter of Emperor Dom Pedro II and Empress Dona Teresa Cristina and thus a member of the Brazilian branch of the House of Braganza (Portuguese: Bragança). Her first two children were born in this house. During her father's absences abroad, Isabel acted as regent. In her third and final regency, she actively promoted and ultimately signed a law, named Lei Áurea or the Golden Law, emancipating all slaves in Brazil. Her remains and of his husband are interred in Petrópolis Cathedral.
In this house stood D. Pedro II when it became aware of the military coup to established the Republic. And after November 15, 1889, came to be occupied by diplomatic delegations from various countries. Later, it housed schools. Registered by IPHAN retains neoclassical features.
He is currently the headquarters of Real Estate Company of Petrópolis and an Antiquarian, both owned by the Imperial Family.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Andre Bonavita (bona) (12387)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-08-18
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, Canon EF 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Exposure: f/6.3, 1/100 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Petrópolis
- Date Submitted: 2013-08-22 5:47