The Saint Alphonsus Church is a old church placed at Barão de Mesquita Street in Tijuca neighborhood.
The first stone was laid on March 25, 1904, by Cardinal D. Joaquim Arcoverde and inaugurated on June 2, 1907 by the same Cardinal, who blesssed the two bells and celebrated a mass. The church belongs to the Redemptorist Priests. In fact, the church was errected by initiative of the redemptorist Priest Francisco Lahmeyer with the help of Bom Retiro Baron's family, whose house housed the first redemptorist priests. The Saint Alphonsus church was built in the lands Mesquita Baron.
The church is noted for its refined italian neogothic style with luxurious inside decoration with marble, stained glass windows and murals.
Their Sunday Masses were disputed by Tijuca population in the early XX century, and usually after the mass the faithful walk to Saens Peña Square, opened in 1911, where, in a gazebo, a band playing Dobrado (a genuinely Brazilian music style).
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Andre Bonavita (bona) (13634)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2006-06-04
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon Lens EFS 18-55mm, Polarizer Filter 55mm
- Exposure: f/11, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-04-09 19:33