The Visitors Center of Botanical Garden was in the past Headquarter House of the Our Lady of Conceição da Lagoa Farm.
It was built in in 1576 and is considered the oldest building in Rio de Janeiro South Zone. After being expropriated by Don João in 1808, it served as the residence of the directors of the Gunpowder Factory, and there the Royal Family stays when visiting the Royal Botanical Gardens.
Then the building served as the residence of some directors of the Botanical Garden until 1981. Also housed the Department of Forest Protection of the Floristic Park and the Herbarium Bradeanum.
In the period from 1990 to 1993, the Botanical Garden has signed an agreement with the Brasil Bank Foundation to carry out the restoration of the building. From archaeological surveys and architectural studies the building today have its original appearance.
Since 1993, the building houses the Visitors Center complex consists of a bookstore, a cafeteria and a gift shop.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Andre Gustavo (bona) (11212)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-01-06
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon EF 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Exposure: f/8, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-10-31 2:50