In 1889, three months prior to the Proclamation of the Republic, Manoel Gomes de Carvalho, the Baron of Rio Negro, purchased from the heirs of the Klippel family the lot where his summer residence would be built. In February 1896, the Palace and adjacent buildings were sold to the State of Rio de Janeiro, to serve as the official residence of the state Governor.
In 1903, the Palace was incorporated to the Federal Government, and became the official summer residence of the Presidents of Brazil. Since then, sixteen Presidents have made use of the Rio Negro: Rodrigues Alves, Afonso Pena, Nilo Peçanha, Hermes da Fonseca, Wenceslau Brás, Epitácio Pessoa, Artur Bernardes, Washington Luiz, Getúlio Vargas, Gaspar Dutra, Café Filho, Juscelino Kubitschek, João Goulart, Costa e Silva, Fernando Henrique Cardoso, and most recently Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva.
Nobody has marked this note useful
Critiques | Translate
npecanhuk (74406) 2013-08-24 9:19
Essa visão frontal também ficou ótima!
A grama bem cuidada e outros detalhes do jardim também estão muito bonitos!
Parabéns, abração e até mais,
Noel_Byrne (30071) 2013-08-25 10:09
Really nice head on view of this fine house, it really is a beautiful place. Love te unusual marriage of colors with yellow, blue and green. Thanks again for sharing.
- Copyright: Andre Bonavita (bona) (13737)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-08-18
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T3i, Canon EF 18-135mm F/3.5-5.6 IS USM
- Exposure: f/10.0, 1/125 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Petrópolis
- Date Submitted: 2013-08-24 7:40