The Convent of Our Lady of the Angels is one of the most important examples of colonial architecture in Brazil. The highlights are the paintings on the ceiling of the chancel, side of the altar panels and floor slabs of clay.
The monastery also houses a chapel and cemetery of the Third Order of St. Francis of Penance / San Francisco das Chagas. The convent took ten years to complete, was inaugurated in 1686. Later came the cemetery, the cells, the church, the sacristy, cloister and inner courtyards. Building typical of the seventeenth century, square-shaped, with a small cloister. Noteworthy is the Cruise of St. Anthony, in front of the monastery, probably built at the same time the church.
Since 1924, the space also houses the Museum of Sacred Art, with baroque images of the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries in terracotta and wood. Heritage listed by Iphan in 1957. There are guided tours. The monastery is located in the Largo de Santo Antonio, s / n, Centro.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Ricardo Rodrigues (ricardomattos) (3175)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-09-30
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Nikon D40, 18-135 mm f3.5-5.6 AF-S DX zoom Nikkor, 67mm Hoya Circular Polarizer
- Exposure: f/9.0, 1/250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-01-18 17:42