Photos

Photographer's Note

They are Saint Sebastião, the patron saints of Bagé, is also patron saints of the soldier. In 20 of January of 1813, a procession transfered the image of Saint Sebastião of the Guard of the Coxilha for the military camp left by Dom Diogo de Souza. Like this began the history of the Cathedral. Initially, the image stayed in a farm and in 1815 initiated itself the construction of a church in accolade of the saint. Concluded in 1820, to old church was very simple, summarizing itself to a chapel-mor and having like body a covered shed of straw. The image of S. Sebastião continues in be able to of the Church. To old Church passed several years in precarious state, to that was demolished for be initiated the construction of a news. To present Matriz began it to be built in 1862 and was concluded in 1878. However, in 1865, when already be prepared chapel and the high altar and the Church already was cover, began the worships to the divine one. The project was of the architect José Obino. The budget for the work came of the Government of the Province, spectacles made for collect resources and donations of the population. A big donation (of 12 contod of réis) was deed by the Mr. Carlos Silveira Martins (father of Gaspar Silveira Martins), on condition that one of the towers sheltered the grave of its family. The Spanish merchant Ramon Galibern brought, of the Spain, a clock of present for the church, that gotten stuck in the customs of Rio Grande by approximately a year, and alone was put in the tower, to the left one of the entrance, in 1873. In 16 of October of 1865, Bagé received the visit of D. Pedro II, and had You-Deum in the Matriz, that still was in works. In 20 of February of 1885 was the time of the Princess Isabel come to the city, for find his husband, the Count D' I. Both they were received in the Church (already ready), and also had You-Deum, in thanksgiving. A year before – 1884 – in the Church already to have been commemorated the abolition of the slavery in Bagé (28 of September of 1884). In 1893, during the Revolution Federalista, the Cathedral and the Plaza were stage of big events, in the episode that stayed acquaintance as small Farm of Bagé, when forces revolutionary, intending take the city, obliged the legalistic-republicans, commanded by the Colonel Carlos Maria da Silva Telles, it arm the defense of the Plaza. The temple was transformed in hospital of blood, while next to the lateral walls were buried the dead persons. The Church stayed with its walls nailed of bullets. Alone the image simbolizadora of the Hope, in the facade, received no projectile. It celebrated the pacification, come back the city to the normality. With donations of faithful, commanded by the canon Bittencourt, the Church was suffering reforms and repairs (ground, altar, etc.), being performed what was possible.

paura, josepmarin has marked this note useful

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Miriam Volpiceli (MiriamVolpiceli) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 70 W: 0 N: 40] (362)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2006-09-22
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Exposure: f/6.3, 1/1000 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2006-09-26 2:06
Viewed: 1139
Points: 8
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Miriam Volpiceli (MiriamVolpiceli) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Note Writer [C: 70 W: 0 N: 40] (362)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH