"For any citizen of Mendoza, the desire to gain green spaces is an obsession, a permanent goal; perhaps this challenge is the motor that drives the daily battle against the desert, without rest but with unlimited hope. The General San Martín Park is the oldest and principal park of Mendoza, a living example of this continuous effort and symbol of the progress of man against seemingly impossible odds.
In 1861, during the process of rebuilding the city following the devastating earthquake of the same year, the then Minister of Public Works and Services, Dr. Emilio Civit, took the initiative to populate the western sector of the capital city through afforestation, by placing a “particular” lung that would simultaneously serve as an atmospheric purifier and alluvial defense against flooding in the city. The law was approved on December 6, 1896 and Dr. Civit’s project, together with the architectural diagram and French landscaper Carlos Thays’ design, gives birth to this park, which is not a park but a paradise.
For over one hundred years, San Martín Park has been one of the most important urban green spaces of Argentina, not only for of its size, but because of its proximity to the city.
It covers a surface of 759 cultivated acres (307 hectares), 11 miles (17 kms) of roads and interior streets lined with different types of trees that give them their names: Los Plátanos Avenue; Los Tilos Avenue; Palmeras Avenue and Tipas Avenue, among others. Also, 213 acres (86 hectares) were added and the number of species (more than 50,000 trees) that compose its varietal patrimony is surprising (including species from North America, Asia, Europe and Australia)."
Nobody has marked this note useful