This is really the whole Palau International Airport!
Palau was initially settled over 4,000 years ago, probably by migrants from what today is Indonesia. British traders became prominent visitors in the 18th century, followed by expanding Spanish influence in the 19th century. Following its defeat in the Spanish-American War, Spain sold Palau and most of the rest of the Caroline Islands to Germany in 1899. Control passed to Japan in 1914 and then to the United States under United Nations auspices in 1947 as part of the Trust Territory of the Pacific Islands.
Four of the Trust Territory districts formed a single federated Micronesian state in 1979, but the districts of Palau and the Marshall Islands declined to participate. Palau, the westernmost cluster of the Caroline Islands, instead opted for independent status in 1978, approved a new constitution and became the Republic of Palau in 1981, and signed a Compact of Free Association with the United States in 1982. After eight referenda and an amendment to the Palauan constitution, the Compact was ratified in 1993 and went into effect on October 1, 1994, marking Palau independent de jure (after palau was independent de facto since May 25, 1994, when the trusteeship cancelled).
Legislation making Palau an "offshore" financial center was passed by the Senate in 1998. In 2001, Palau passed its first bank regulation and anti-money laundering laws.
More you can find at: Wikipedia
- Copyright: Erwin Fugger (Erwinf) (584)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2002-03-26
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon Digital IXUS
- Exposure: f/4, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2006-05-04 14:10
- Favorites: 1 [view]