At only 147m, Botanical Hill is one of the smallest peaks on our list, and is positively tiny compared with many other South Island summits.
However, as well as being a pleasant and easy walk located in the centre of Nelson, it has a peculiar claim to fame.
The summit of Botanical Hill has a monument celebrating its claim of being the geographical centre of New Zealand.
In fact, the true geographical centre of New Zealand is said to be 55km southwest in the Spooner Range, but Botanical Hill retains this honour due the fact it had the first trig station in the South Island, and further surveying radiated from this point.
Botanical Hill also provides great views over Nelson and the surrounding area.
- Copyright: Chian Sing Lai (kim_gwan) (268)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-11-15
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Sony Alpha a35, SAL 18-55 mm F3.5-5.6, SDHC 8G, Hoya HMC UV Multicoated 55mm
- Exposure: f/13.0, 1/200 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-01-06 0:28