Was lucky to have visited this fortress on Waitangi Day as it only open for public 5 days a year!
Was about to chg this pix to a B+W but due to it's rich colours (the green+blue) all were camouflaged nicely with the WWII uniforms.
Built during World War Two, in the 1940's as a long range coastal battery to protect Wellington city and environs from possible enemy attack and invasion from the Pacific in World War Two.
The Fortress consists of an underground network of tunnels, operation rooms and three gun emplacements.
There are 2,030 feet (620 metres) of interconnecting tunnelling via this entrance in the picture.
Visit the Restoration web site for more info.