The SS Maheno was on its way to Japan from Australia to be scrapped when it was caught in a cyclone in 1935. It wrecked upon 75 Mile Beach on Fraser Island, Australia, where it still lies to be visited by the islandís many tourists.
I took this photo in early 2009 shortly before I left Australia. I was limited by time and so decided to join a two-day bus tour of the island. Itís a beautiful place, though outrageously busy. The freshwater lakes are divine for a dip and thereís a good chance of seeing some dingoes running around.
It's also the world's largest sand island and definitely worth a visit.
- Copyright: Lisa Gillespie (mimmm) (107)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2009-01-27
- Categories: Ruins
- Camera: Fujifilm Finepix F30
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/680 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Theme(s): Shipwrecks, Aussie Hit List [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2010-02-19 12:59