Straw is an agricultural byproduct, the dry stalk of a cereal plant, after the nutrient grain or seed has been removed. Straw makes up about half of the yield of a cereal crop such as wheat, oats, rye or barley. In times gone by, it was regarded as a useful by-product of the harvest, but with the advent of the combine harvester, straw has become more of a burden, almost a nuisance to farmers.
However, straw can be put to many uses, old and new.
Common uses of straw:
* Bedding humans or livestock
* Feed for livestock
* Construction material: bricks / cob
* Straw plait for the hatting industry
Critiques | Translate
stefpat (1024) 2006-08-09 10:46
Beautiful colors..very nice..
Vagabond (5848) 2006-08-09 10:49
Very nice composition. Strong colours, may be a slight overexposition of the foreground straw package.
jrj (34843) 2006-08-09 15:14
Time is up for the returning tractor balls photos. I think you disposed this compo well, using the foreground ball well in the setup. But I do think you could have adjusted for the hard light - underexposed in the back, overexposed in the foreground. Pls. look at the ws to see what I mean..
kittyhawk (1740) 2006-08-10 2:12
Very nice photo, I really like the PoV and composition. I allso like the peacefull feel to the image. Very nicely captured. TFS.
- Copyright: Brian Lantis (belantis) (169)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2006-08-07
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Canon 350D (Digital Rebel XT), 18-55 Canon II EF-S f/3.5-5.5, Tiffen 58mm Circular Polarizer
- Exposure: f/11, 1/30 seconds
- Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
- Theme(s): rolls of straw or hayrolls [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2006-08-09 10:29