No, it's not used anymore! And no crescent moon... just a star, but this was probably a real outhouse; it's at the Vineyard Cabin, which was originally located just west of the town of Greenwood. It was moved to its present location just behind the Old Jail Museum in 1994. The restoration of the cabin was completed in 1996. It was a gift to the Sebastian County Historical Society from the granddaughters of its former owners. The cabin was built around 1848 by a bachelor school teacher, William Blaylock, who first built a one-room cabin with a stone fireplace where he lived and taught school until he married in 1850; he then added another room and connected them with a breezeway. Furnishings in the cabin were donated by various individuals and descendents from the area. It's only open on special occasions but the site is open to the public and it is possible to walk around and see the various buildings of the complex.
Greenwood is one of Arkansas's fastest growing communities. Located only about ten minutes from Fort Smith, it still retains a small town atmosphere. There are about 7,000 residents currently. It was founded in 1851 when the location was selected for the first county seat of Sebastian county. It was named for Judge Alfred Burton Greenwood, who had been elected the previous year to serve as Circuit Judge over ten NW counties. The first courthouse was a log structure, but was replaced in 1865 by a frame courthouse which also became the center of the public square. Another was built after a fire in 1916, when the courthouse was relocated to the south of the square. The town's greatest test came in April, 1968 when a devastating tornado nearly destroyed the town. Thirteen people were killed and many homes and businesses were lost. The park where many structures were lost still serves as the heart of the town, and also stands as a reminder of the past, as many buildings on the site were lost in the tornado and were never replaced.
Nobody has marked this note useful