A male African lion at the Lincoln Park Zoo.
This photograph I think illustrates why the lion is the king of the jungle (well, savannah, really). His pose is so regal, his eyes, very powerful, yet behind the regal and fierce eyes, is ... an underlying playfulness, a Simba at heart.
Male has thick mane around the head that extends down the chest between the forelegs; broader and heavier than the lioness. Maximum weight: 500 pounds. Females lack mane. Color is primarily tawny. Tuft at the end of tail. Cubs are covered with dark spots, which they lose in about a year.
- Copyright: Ken Ilio (flip89) (3418)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2004-11-08
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Nikon D70, Nikkor 70-200mm VR, Heliopan UV
- Exposure: f/11, 1/25 seconds
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2004-11-08 1:30
- Favorites: 1 [view]