While heading north from Durango on highway 550, I saw what appeared to be a massive blob on the side of the roadway. I turned around and found that it was a travertine formation at Pinkerton Hot Springs. Travertine is made up of Calcium Carbonate, also known as calc-sinter, and forms as the mineral-rich water percolates. This is the same material which forms stalactites and stalagmites.
Adjusted blown out sky and resized.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Matt MM (NatureHaven) (61)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2006-06-05
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: Canon EOS 20D, 28-135 f/3.5-5.6 IS
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/80 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2006-06-11 16:21