A History of Grace United Church of Christ
In 1747, Michael Schlatter came to Taneytown as a traveling minister for the Synod of the Reformed Church in Holland to gather people into congregations and find pastors for them. Between 1756 and 1760, Rev. Steiner from Switzerland traveled from Frederick to conduct services in German under the auspices of the Reformed Church even before Taneytown existed. People often traveled twenty miles or more, packing guns to protect themselves from wild beasts and Indians. The area, known as 'Pipe Creek,' became Taneytown in 1762.
In 1764, land was conveyed by Raphael Taney the first church (known as the 'Old Yellow Church') was built where the cemetery stands today, with Lutheran and Reformed congregations sharing the building. In 1812, the Lutheran congregation moved to a new building and the Reformed congregation continued to use the building for eight more years.
In September of 1821, the cornerstone was laid for a new church on land purchased for eighty-nine dollars and sixty-eight and one-half cents. The church, known as the Union Church of Taneytown, was shared by German Reformed and English Presbyterians.
In 1844, the Presbyterian congregation moved into its own building and sold their interest in Union Church for $300. Under the leadership of Rev. John G. Wolff, the first parsonage was built in 1848.
In 1857, Rev. Ditzler was pastor of both the Keysville and Taneytown churches. In 1890, the Taneytown church was remodeled, the front was extended, the bell tower removed, and a floor put in to create a sanctuary.
In 1894, a Christian Endeavor Society was organized and the first pipe organ was installed. During the pastorate of Rev. David J. Wolf in 1906, the old parsonage was torn down and a new one built on the same lot.
In 1924 under the pastorate of Rev. Guy P. Bready, the interior of the sanctuary was remodeled to its present appearance.
Nobody has marked this note useful