Here's an old shot from my trip to Florida this past summer.
Near Kissimmee, this is the planned community of Celebration, Florida.
Planned, designed, and run by the Walt Disney corporation buyers have a finite number of choices for homes, are told what colours they are allowed to paint it, what sorts of things you can (and cannot) put on your lawn or porch, to name just a few rules.
From the BBC :
"Celebration was founded in 1994, and sold to Americans as "a place of caramel apples and cotton candy, secret forts, and hopscotch on the streets". Thousands of Disneyphiles came from across the USA to resettle in the town and live the Disney dream. In winter, the town's managers blow fake snow into the streets, and in Autumn, they provide fake leaves. But there is increasing dissent in Celebration at Disney's authoritarian rule."
This place was creepy.
Critiques | Translate
RADEEH (2802) 2006-02-15 0:34
I liked the placing the tree in the centre of the shot, and those blue sky and dark clouds add a fairy tale touch to it Wonderful work thanks for sharing
ElSato (824) 2006-02-15 0:34
Ceeeelebrate, good times, come on! I mean, that name! This place! Get real!
An eerie shot of a creepy concept.
(1) However you produced the distortion, it's great.
(2) Putting the scrubby little leafless tree front and center is perfect and reminds me of an old, somewhat tired line ("suburbs are places where they cut down all the trees and then name the streets after them") but of course then they have to plant these little bits of tame "nature" for the residents to enjoy.
(3) The division into one light house and one dark house (with that poor sapling once again in the middle) seems ominously portenteous. I'm not sure what it would portend, but it gives me the feeling that some deep subtext is at work.
(4) Your POV is especially well-chosen, and is reminiscent of David Lynch circa Blue Velvet (which should underline just exactly how creepy this image is).
Excellent job. I hope you got the hell out of there before sundown when the zombies come out.
fkk (2037) 2006-02-15 2:44
very nice composition and colors, good capture
kensimage (8561) 2006-02-15 21:17
Boy, I'd love to have the concessions for Botox, Hallmark cards, and cheerleading outfits in that place--I'd be rich! The pleasant but sterile atmosphere is well captured in this shot, partly by the contrast between the stark tree and the lush lawn. Well done, regards, Ken.
Michael_Gan (2776) 2006-02-16 1:23
Yikes, despite the wonderful blue sky, this seems to be a chilly and lifeless place, emphasized by the thin leafless tree that you placed so prominently in the centre of the picture. The distortion is really great here, the houses seem to tighten your throat here and create a claustrophobic feeling. Great work!
joseelias (0) 2006-02-23 17:05
By your description this totally reminds me of an X-files episode (which is runing as I write this…). Yes, this is a creepy scenario, a kind of domestic nazism. I gues that people must submit to behaviour and beaty control to be accepted there also…
Very interesting composition. The central position of the tree works very well here as the perspective distortion of the houses place all the weight in the center of the image.
Colors are excellent and “disney like”. If I could ask for something it would be to have a bit more blurred background, but with the tree in clear sharpness. That would reinforce your note of a strange and difuse conception of the world.
This also reminds me of some of your older posts with a creative approach to architecture.
- Copyright: alex felipe (RandomCameraGuy) (3071)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2005-08-30
- Categories: Daily Life
- Camera: Canon 20D, Canon EF-S 10 - 22 mm F3.5 - F4.5
- Exposure: f/11, 1/200 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2006-02-14 23:43