This magnificent building is part of the Old Post Office Pavilion, located at 1100 Pennsylvania Ave NW. It was completed in 1899, and has a very gothic appearance. It served as the city's main post office only until 1914, when it then began to be used as an office building. It was almost demolished in the 1920s during the construction of several phases of the Federal Triangle complex and again in the 1970s. It was renovated in the 1980s and 1990s, however. In 2013, the building was leased to the Trump Organization which intended to transform it into an international hotel. Renovations began in May. It's now a historic building, however, so it's doubtful that it will be completely demolished. At the time of its completion, it constituted the largest enclosed space in the city, and was the first to feature steel frame construction and built-in electrical wiring. The National Park Service still provides tours of the clock tower. The 315-foot tower features magnificent views of the city and also has an exhibit about the building's long and tumultuous history.
Nobody has marked this note useful