This old mansion in downtown Pittsburgh was built in 1908 as a family home. The William Penn Association bought it in 1983 and restored it to its original looks. The William Penn Association is a Fraternal Benefit Society founded in 1886 in Hazleton, Pennsylvania, by thirteen Hungarian coal miners. It was chartered by the State of Pennsylvania in December of that same year under the name “Verhovay Aid Association.” The goal of the founders was to extend a helping hand to each other and to other Hungarian immigrants at a period in history when insurance of any sort was still in the far away future. The name has changed but the goals are still the same.
Nobody has marked this note useful