Photos

Photographer's Note

Interior of St. Sulpice Church (The Great Organ), Paris

It took more than a century and six architects before the monumental St. Sulpice church was completed at the end of the 18th century. The church, located in the heart of Paris's popular 6th arrondissement, dominates a pleasant square.

Construction

Construction started in 1646 at the site of a 13th century church. Twenty years later a lack of funds halted construction work. It would last until the early 18th century before construction resumed and finally in 1780 the church was mostly completed.

Interior

The Saint-Sulpice church has one of the world's largest organs, built between 1776 and 1781 after a design by Jean Chalgrin, who is best known as the architect of the Arc de Triomphe.
The gilded pulpit of the Saint-Sulpice was designed in 1788 by Charles de Wailly.
Another highlight can be found in the Chapelle des Anges (Angel Chapel), where Eugène Delacroix created impressive wall paintings, entitled 'Jacob Wrestling with the Angel' and 'Expulsion of Heliodorus from the Temple'.

The Great Organ

The church's organ (1781) is one of the world's largest, with 6,588 pipes, and has been played by musicians like Marcel Dupré and Charles-Mari Widor. St-Sulpice is still known for its music today, and frequent concerts are held here. The organ was constructed by Aristide Cavaille-Coll, the case was designed by Chalgrin, and the statues were made by Clodion.

The Church

The building is impressive, and with a length of 119 meters and a width of 57 meters (390 x 187 ft) it is the second largest church in Paris after the Notre-Dame.

The imposing front façade was built after a 1732 Baroque design by Giovanni Servandoni. It is defined by two large colonnades with Doric and Ionic columns.
The colonnades are flanked by two asymmetrical towers, possibly a result of the long construction period. The south tower, which was never completed, is 5 meters smaller than the north tower and has a slightly different design.
Servandoni's plan also included a large ornamented pediment and tower cupolas, but these were never implemented. (Source: aviewoncities/paris)

Photo Information
Viewed: 2462
Points: 42
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by George Rumpler (Budapestman) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 8900 W: 3 N: 20435] (82620)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH