Photos

Photographer's Note

Hello friends and colleagues, today I offer you this view of the interesting port tower of the city of Lindau in Bavaria, on the shores of Lake Bodensee. I hope you like it, then some letters about the city.

Lindau am Bodensee is a German city of 24 487 inhabitants, in the state of Bavaria. The old part is located on an island on the northwest coast of Lake Constance (Bodensee), linked to mainland, by a viaduct and a bridge, where the new city develops.
It was until 1803 independent imperial city, to later pass to be annexed to Bavaria.

The Aeschach district (on the mainland) shows traces of Roman colonization of the first century, although Lindau is not mentioned for the first time until 882 in a document of the monastery of Sankt Gallen.

The oldest building on the island Lindau is called Heidenmauer, a wall of colossal fortification, whose use is still doubtful. Due to an ancient inscription it is supposed to have been built by the Romans or the Langobards; hence its popular name "wall of the pagans". More recent works showed a medieval origin after the 8th century.
Around 1180 the church of St. Stephan was built, while in 1224 the Franciscan fathers founded a monastery on the island.

After the Reformation, Lindau became in 1528 to Protestantism. The city represented in 1529 the Protestant minority in the Reichstag of Speyer. The inhabitants joined the Tetrapolitana (formula of the creed of Bucer) that tried to force the extinction of the reformed faith.

In the Thirty Years War Lindau was attacked between 1646 and 1647 by the Swedes. Under the orders of Baron Max Willibald of Waldburg-Wolfegg, commander of the imperial army, the citizens defeated the Swedes by destroying the siege weapons in a raid of dawn. Today the remains of this struggle are buried on the island. After this war in 1655 the first children's party was inaugurated by Valentin Heider, to give hope to the youth.
Every year, in all schools, the canons announce the feast in the morning. Students are given a traditional cake called Butschelle. After a parade, the mayor gives a speech in front of the young people in the square of the town hall, ending with the exclamation "Lindau", answered by the people with "Hoch" (Viva). The day ends with a folk festival.

After the occupation by Napoleón Bonaparte, Lindau lost in 1802 its imperial privileges. The king baron August of Bretzenheim yielded in 1804 the city and the monastery to Austria. 1806 Austria gave both to the king of Bavaria.
In 1853 the railway was built between the island and the mainland. In 1856 the only port of Bavaria was built in this city, with the statue of the famous lion on the quay, the symbolic animal of Bavaria.

In 1922 under the mandate of the mayor Ludwig Siebert the following towns were incorporated to the municipality of Lindau (Aeschach, Hoyren and Reutin). Ludwig Siebert, being member of the German National Socialist Party of the Workers, was named Gauleiter (Leader of region) of Bavaria in 1933.

During World War II French troops occupied Lindau the 30 of April of 1945 without resistance some. The city and the district were separated from Bavaria and converted into an extraordinary area of ​​law in the area of ​​French occupation. In 1946, the government of the district of Lindau was employed without dependence neither of Bavaria nor of Baden-Württemberg. For almost ten years Lindau served to connect the French occupation zone in Germany with the same in Austria. On 1 September 1955 Lindau was relocated to the state of Bavaria.
Source: Wikipedia.

Make: NIKON CORPORATION
Model: NIKON D3100
Software: PhotoScape
Exposure Time: 10/16000 sec
F-Stop: f/6.3
ISO Speed Ratings: 400
Focal Length: 18 mm
Date Taken: 2012-07-09 09:48
Metering Mode: Center Weighted Average
File Size: 487 k

Photo Information
Viewed: 391
Points: 68
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by angel cornejo (cornejo) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Note Writer [C: 4485 W: 5 N: 9848] (50530)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH