Photos

Photographer's Note

Galata Tower in Istanbul used to be a fire lookout tower and is just shy of 67 metres tall. It also sits atop a 35 metre hill. Taken at blue hour from the adjacent terrace of the Anemon Restaurant. From Wikipedia:

"The tower was built as Christea Turris (Tower of Christ) in 1348 during an expansion of the Genoese colony in Constantinople.The Galata Tower was the tallest building in Istanbul at 219½ feet (66.9 m) when it was built in 1348.[2] It was built to replace the old Tower of Galata, an original Byzantine tower named Megalos Pyrgos (English: Great Tower) which controlled the northern end of the massive sea chain that closed the entrance to the Golden Horn. That tower was on a different site and was largely destroyed in 1203, during the Fourth Crusade of 1202–1204.

The upper section of the tower with the conical cap was slightly modified in several restorations during the Ottoman period when it was used as an observation tower for spotting fires.

According to the Seyahatname of Ottoman historian and traveller Evliya Çelebi, in circa 1630-1632, Hezarfen Ahmet Çelebi flew as an early intercontinental aviator using artificial wings for gliding from this tower over the Bosphorus to the slopes of Üsküdar on the Anatolian side, nearly six kilometres away. Evliyâ Çelebi also tells of Hezarfen's brother, Lagari Hasan Çelebi, performing the first flight with a rocket in a conical cage filled with gunpowder in 1633.

Starting from 1717 the Ottomans began to use the tower for spotting fires in the city. In 1794, during the reign of Sultan Selim III, the roof of the tower made of lead and wood, and the stairs were severely damaged by a fire. Another fire damaged the building in 1831, upon which a new restoration work took place.

In 1875, during a storm, the conic roof on the top of the building was destroyed[citation needed]. The tower remained without this conic roof for the rest of the Ottoman period. Many years later, in 1965-1967, during the Turkish Republic, the original conical cap was restored[citation needed]. During this final restoration in the 1960s, the wooden interior of the tower was replaced by a concrete structure and it was commercialized and opened to the public."

Apparently the restaurant within the tower is not that great and serves very ordinary food, but the views are still magnificent. Closes at 7 pm, so I must head there again before summer, when blue hour occurs around 9 pm.

Photo Information
  • Copyright: Chris Jules (ChrisJ) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9840 W: 992 N: 18669] (94828)
  • Genre: Places
  • Medium: Color
  • Date Taken: 2013-07-01
  • Categories: Architecture
  • Camera: Nikon D 90
  • Exposure: f/3.5, 1/25 seconds
  • More Photo Info: view
  • Photo Version: Original Version
  • Date Submitted: 2014-04-16 12:47
Viewed: 771
Points: 52
Discussions
Additional Photos by Chris Jules (ChrisJ) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 9840 W: 992 N: 18669] (94828)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH