Photos

Photographer's Note

HDR
CERI, in the municipality of the province of Rome in Cerveteri, Etruscan former home, located on a tuff cliff feature that once had access difficulties. Passed from the Etruscans to the Romans and later the barbarians. The first direct news on Ceri one has in a Bull of Pope Gragorio IX of 1236, the investiture of Romano Bonaventura as Bishop of the Diocese of Porto suburbicarian. In 1503, after being the Normans and vassal of Cola di Rienzo, then feud Alberteschi, the Counts of Anguillara and Orsini, had to endure a siege of thirty days from the Duke Valentino (Cesare Borgia). Passed before the Dukes of Cesi, then to the Borromeo family and was bought in 1721 by the Odescalchi family. In 1833, Ceri was bought by Prince Alessandro Torlonia and enjoyed a period of rebirth, becoming in 1863 an exclusive village of the same master Torlonia who left after the Second World War. In the small village is the Shrine of Our Lady of Candles (Our Lady of Candles Mother of Mercy), where in ancient paintings of 1100 covering the right wall of the nave. Stories of Genesis in the first register in the second stories of Jacob, Joseph and Moses, S. George, other Saints, the Crucifixion of S. Andrea and S. Sylvester in the bottom. In the sanctuary are the relics of St. Pope Felix II long protector of the village. Today, the shrine is visited by many pilgrims, school trips and groups from the considerable cultural interest. On the cliff overlooking the Palazzo Torlonia, with its magnificent halls filled with frescoes. Today the Palazzo Torlonia is used for meetings, conferences and weddings is surrounded by an enchanted garden with rare botanical species. The Church and the Palace are surrounded by narrow streets and houses recently restored that cause countless tourists come to visit the medieval village. In the surrounding countryside were found Etruscan, mounds and more. In the dense forest that surrounds the walls of the village stands the church of St. Pope Felix II (theater of the legendary miracle of oxen refused to carry his relics to Rome after his martyrdom), a grinder and an old fountain.

Photo Information
Viewed: 1495
Points: 62
Discussions
Additional Photos by Valter Palone (bayno) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1353 W: 296 N: 2584] (18342)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH