Oxkutzcab was a town dating back to pre-Columbian times. With the fall of Mayapán in the 1440s, Oxkutzcab became a regional capital ruled by the Xiu family. After the Spanish conquest of Yucatán it was re-established as a Spanish colonial town in 1550; the Maya temples were demolished and a large Franciscan church built.
Oxcutzcab is a municipality, with a municipal seat of the same name in the Mexican state of Yucatán, southeast of Maní, Yucatán. The name in the Yucatec Maya language means "Place of ramon, tobacco, and honey".
According to the 2005 datas, Oxcutzcab had a population about 22.000 people in the city and 30.000 in the entire municipality, predominantly of Maya descent. Sugar, tobacco, maize, and fruits are grown commercially in the surrounding area.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Cem Canbay (canbayimages) (1754)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2011-11-07
- Categories: Daily Life, Architecture, Decisive Moment
- Camera: Canon EOS 5 D Mark II, 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, Kenko Circular Polarizer 82 mm
- Exposure: f/8, 1/160 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2013-08-03 4:47