It was built of stone on the raised platform of a former Maya temple in a barrio designated for the dwellings of indigenous peoples, north of the Historic Centre of Mérida, on Calle 60, between Calles 47 and 45. Consecrated in 1733 CE, it is simple in design - in form, the Latin Cross - with a nave, transept on the north-south axis, and apse. To its immediate south, there is a very large park of the same name that features a statue of Don Andrés Quintana Roo (more tomorrow). The church's façade is also simple, with a rounded entrance arch accompanied by pilasters. This is finished off by a cornice that forms a small fronton. Beneath the cornice appear the words from the Gospel of St. John, ch 1, vs 14. "Verbum caro factum est et habitavit in nobis". The word was made flesh and dwelt among us.
Nobody has marked this note useful