This is the view of the church from its south side on Calle 59. It was constructed next to the College of St. Francis Xavier, founded in 1618 CE, and entrusted to the Jesuits. Stones from earlier Maya structures were used as building materials in its clean, baroque design. Jesuits did not take vows of poverty, nor commit themselves to serving the poor. Consequently they were seen as more likely to address the needs of wealthier and more powerful parishioners. In 1767 CE, the Jesuits were forced out of all Spanish dominions, leaving the Dominican and Franciscan brothers.
Nobody has marked this note useful