Photos

Photographer's Note

Info from Wikipedia below (interestingly, there is no mention of the Notre Dame Cathedral Basilica in this text, which is the main subject of my picture):

Major's Hill Park is one of the most notable parks in downtown Ottawa. The park stands above the Rideau Canal at the point where it enters the Ottawa River. Across the canal to the west are the parliament buildings, to the north of the park is the National Gallery of Canada, and to the east are the United States embassy and the Byward Market. To the south is the Chateau Laurier hotel, built upon land that was once part of the park.

The neighborhood surrounding the park was once home to those who constructed the canal. In particular, the area that is now the park was the official residence of the Supervising Engineer of Canal Works and therefore home of Lieutenant-Colonel John By. The hill came to be known by his rank. However, in 1832 "Colonel's Hill" became Major's Hill when By was replaced by Major Daniel Bolton. The residence was destroyed by fire in 1849, though ruins survive to today.

The use of the area as a residence gives the park the rather unusual quality of remaining a green space since the early days of Ottawa. It is now managed by the National Capital Commission, which has placed historical information in the northwest corner of the park.

Due to its central location, Major's Hill Park is frequented all year round. It is frequently used as a venue for events, and is central to Ottawa's Canada Day celebrations. A more recent addition to the calendar is the annual pre-Maxville Highland Games event titled 'B In The Park' with pipe bands and highland dancers from all over the world performing, and presented by the Sons of Scotland Pipe Band of Ottawa, Canada's oldest civilian pipe band.

Kamilutka, snunney has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 497
Points: 4
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Caleb Ficner (kwekwekan) Gold Star Critiquer/Silver Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 127 W: 10 N: 165] (1022)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH