The Whitney Block is a provincial government building complex, connected to the Ontario Legislature via an underground tunnel and named in honour of former Premier James P. Whitney. Only the top of the 16-storey tower of the complex is shown here, a view of the whole complex is shown in the Workshop . The tower is a fine example of the popular art deco architecture at the time of its construction in 1931-32, but it is now a ghost tower, unoccupied since 1968. It was deemed to be a fire hazard, because it has only one staircase. The fine stone carvings on the outside of the building and its one of the few operational hand cranked elevators makes this building an artistic and historical significant landmark of Toronto.