Back in July 1968, I went shooting old steam technology such as this
at the Quebec railway station «La Gare du Palais» shown at many place on TE
(Gare du Palais I;),
(Gare du Palais II;), and
( Gare du Palais III;).
I was carrying my newly second hand Practika 35mm. The Canadian National Railway 4-8-2 Class U-1 Mountain type locomotive CNR #6218, built in 1932 was downtown. This was my early experience with photography. I was using an Ektachrome 160 ASA, 35 mm diapositive film and shot this one with a high F and a high speed in a sunny day.
This is the orignal shot (Diapositive converted in 4 x 7 print then scanned) with no alteration wih photoshop even if temptation to do so was great. Electric poles still there together with a lot of visual pollution which remain intact.
In the workshop you will find the locomotive a little bit more at left. Then in the second workshop you will find the same place 37 years later, ...amazing n'est-ce-pas?
Here are few specifications of the mountain type locomotive :
• wheel configuration 4-8-2.
• Length is around 93 feet,
• height 15 feet 1 ½ inches.
• Operating weight 637,540 lbs.,
• tractive effort 52,500 lbs. (no booster).
• Driving wheel diameter 73 inches.
• Operating pressure 260 psi.
• Cylinders 24 inch diameter,
• stroke 28 inches.
Other technical informations at :
Critiques | Translate
Elduque (624) 2005-10-28 12:37
This picture, together with the links, is like a small history book.
I think that you understand and express perfectly the spirit of this web, that is learning about the world through the photography.
PJE (20758) 2005-10-30 0:56
I am wondering if this is a scanned photo. Its seems to be lacking in some essential details.
RGatward (20050) 2006-01-08 9:12
Interestin early shot (can I put it in my theme). Yes amazing. Was the loco in use at the time, or a museum piece. In the UK 1968 was the last year of regular mainline steam operation.
pierrefonds (51040) 2006-08-26 5:58
Un bon point de vue de cette vieille locomotive qui produit beaucoup de pollution. La photo a une bonne profondeur de champs et de belles couleurs. Merci de partager.
Aspirin (278) 2006-09-27 22:03
An intersting old photo.
Thanks for sharing with this useful information.
jplebrun (21208) 2007-03-21 7:04
Plus je fouille dans dans ton site, plus je découvres de belles surprises. Cette U-1 Montain, fait partie de notre patrimoine. Dommage que le sujet soit si loin, il manque de clarté
- Copyright: Jean Pierre Forest (FORJP001) (3819)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 1968-07-00
- Categories: Transportation
- Camera: Praktika, 35mm
- Photo Version: Original Version, Workshop
- Theme(s): Pollution, My earliest shot, TRAINS II, Trains, Les pollueurs / Thou shall not pollute, Voies ferrées / railway tracks, Quebec city / la ville de Québec, Steam Railways [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2005-10-27 21:44