This old stone building was built in the 1870's and was known as Reist's School in a small settlement called Kossuth in Waterloo Township. This settlement of mostly of Dutch, German immigrants named their place after Louis Kossuth, the leader of the defeated 1849 Hungarian War of Independence. Kossuth was a handsome, charismatic man and was very popular in the 1850s when he was campaigning in the US for freedom and democracy in Europe. The settlement is no longer exists, only this building remains, it was purchased in 1962 by a group of Hungarian families for club house. This club is now known as the Hungarian Canadian Club of Waterloo-Wellington. It serves the Hungarian communities of three Southern Ontario cities, Kitchener, Cambridge and Guelph.
The portable chairs seen on the picture were set up for an outdoor show in the garden on the day when the picture was taken.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Barnabas Bozoki (bbarna) (702)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-08-23
- Categories: Architecture
- Camera: Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
- Exposure: f/4, 1/1250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-08-27 10:58