I’m Reminiscing about Istanbul
Today, I wanted to upload a photo that summarizes my recent trip to Istanbul. This one depicts the ferry Şehit (Martyr) İlker Karter crossing the southern tip of the Bosphorus with Hagia Sophia, Sultanahmet and part of Topkapı Palace in the background, followed closely by a flock of seagulls. Among the 1677 photos I took during that trip, this one seemed to fit the bill for many reasons, among which are:
1) The weather: The first few days were awfully wintry (for Istanbul) with constant rain and cold wind. On Wednesday, it stopped raining. On Thursday (when this photo was taken), the sun appeared among the clouds. Friday was a brilliant, sunny spring day (as was Saturday morning). So this photo, with its partially cloudy skies averages out my experience of the weather.
2) The sea and seagulls: Being surrounded by water on eight sides, one cannot avoid the sea and seagulls in Istanbul. This ferry on Marmara, being chased by seagulls in hope for simit handouts from passengers captures that theme.
3) The two continents: The photo was taken while we were waiting for a boat ride to the Maiden's Tower at Salacak (on the Asian side) with the European side in the background.
Bugün, İstanbul'a son gezimi özetleyen bir fotoğrafı yüklemek istedim. Bu şehir hatları vapuru Şehit İlker Karter’i, Boğaz’ın güney ucunu geçerken arka planda Ayasofya, Sultanahmet ve Topkapı Sarayı'nın bir parçası ile, martılar sürüsü tarafından yakından takip edilirken göstermektedir. Bu gezi sırasında aldığım 1677 fotoğrafın arasında bu, birçok nedenden dolayı tasarıya uygun görünüyordu:
1) Hava: İlk birkaç gün (İstanbul için) müthiş bir kış vardı, sürekli yağmur ve soğuk rüzgar ile. Çarşamba günü, yağmur durdu. (Bu fotoğrafın çekildiği) Perşembe günü, güneş bulutların arasından çıkmıştı. (Cumartesi sabah olduğu gibi) Cuma parlak, güneşli bir bahar günüydü. Yani bu fotoğraf, kısmen bulutlu gökyzü ile benim yaşadığım hava durumunu ortalar.
2) Deniz ve martılar: Sekiz tarafı denizlerle çevrili olan bir İstanbul'da deniz ve martılardan kaçınılamaz. Yolcuların simit atmalarını umut eden martılar tarafından kovalanan Marmara’daki bu feribot, bu temayı yakalıyor.
3) İki kıta: Bu fotoğraf, biz (Asya tarafında) Salacak’ta Kız Kulesi'ne bir tekne yolculuğu için beklerken arka planda Avrupa yakasıyla çekilmişti.
Critiques | Translate
Angshu (55914) 2014-03-17 9:10
The sun shines brightly on the ferry and the sea in the FG, while the BG monuments are hazy dark pale...the light is yet to fall on them. But they do create a nice backdrop contrast, not dominating, but distinctive Istanbul
serp2000 (40350) 2014-03-17 10:48
Your photo brings me back to 2000, when we had have outstanding trip around this legendary city. Excellent PoV, I remember this city scape with the minarets. Thanks for memories!
seres76 (974) 2014-03-17 13:30
Klasik bir Istanbul fotografi. Ellerine saglik...
TRB (13763) 2014-03-17 14:59
merhaba Murat Bey,
Güzel bir İstanbul karesi, açıklayıcı notunuz da sanki tatilinizin özeti gibi...
İstanbul yine bekler :)emeğinize sağlık.
ChrisJ (99260) 2014-03-17 16:23
I know this sight well. I get the boat to and from Harem to Eminönü when travelling from Izmit to Istanbul and back. I figured out it's quicker and more enjoyable than going to the main otogar bus stn by metro. I like the wide angled panoramic format and the ubiquitous seagulls. The glints of sunlight on the water are nice. The big boat is well positioned in the frame. Tfs!
pierrefonds (57509) 2014-03-17 16:51
The distance between the ferry and the palace is giving depth to the composition. The point of view is showing the details and the colours of the ferry. The hazy sky does not hurt the output of the colours. Have a nice dya.
fabbs99 (16477) 2014-03-17 23:06
Remarkable shot of this ferry in Istanbul.Lovely colors and excellent sharpness.Very well done.TFS.
emka (79875) 2014-03-17 23:26
Hello Murat ,
Very beautiful summary of your Istanbul trip. You were a short time there only and such a bad luck with the weather. beautiful view of the Hagia Sophia and Topkapi. I like the contrast of the bright orange of the ferru with the bluish background. Very nice picture..
WArm regrads MAlgo
arnie (1803) 2014-03-18 3:17
A very sharp capture of the very, the colours really stand out against the hazy back ground.
Looking forward to more shots of your visit.
PS. Do all ferries begin with name Sehit as I posted the bow of a ferry that was named Sehit Metin ????.
It would be a coincidence if it was the same one.
saxo042 (37578) 2014-03-18 4:31
A very pleasant contrasts between the different blue colours in this picture. The boat adds a lot of interest and other colours too. A very attractive cityscape.
kato (11630) 2014-03-18 7:08
You're capturing well this scape by a good angle, a good focus and excellent tone/clarity, so it's interesting and impressive to see the ferry sailing the Bosphorus, and Hagia Sophia, Sultanahmet and Topkapı Palace of backdrop. It's a tasteful color contrast of strait, European side and the sky. And, many seagulls chaseing the ferry draw out well an atmosphere of this place.
Subhogen (4065) 2014-03-18 9:01
Like the nice sun shine on the ferry and the water which makes it gleam. Good control over exposure there. Great timing to create the fantastic BG for the ferry with those beautiful mosques. Nice one, thanks for sharing.
ikeharel (58195) 2014-03-18 9:08
The ferry crossing the Bosphoros with its wakes over water, gave a good sense of dynamism, Murat.
Inspite the low light condition, the vessel is in great sharpness.
10 minerats of the knwon skyline alsdo shon beautifully. I can imagin a night scene from same place.
ourania (32083) 2014-03-18 12:28
a simple composition, rich in content and connotations. I like very much the sense of depth and movement, the sharp and bright definition of the boat against an iconic, almost silhouetted background. The vertical elements create a fine rhythm and the colours are particularly charming. I hope you had a good trip back home and that you'll show us more photos from your stay in Istanbul. Congratulations and thank you!
All the best, have a great day,
jcpix (13688) 2014-03-18 15:46
Welcome home...from being home. :) The picture alone garners plenty of interest, but the accompanying note adds even more. Love the turquoise and blue colors, broken by the touches of orange from the boat. A well layed out and presented photo. East meets West, and you can't go wrong! Enjoy the rest of the evening. Take good care.
jmdias (56127) 2014-03-24 2:00
the place is amazing. the image is perfect showing the famous monuments and its shapes ahead in those urban strip. the presence of the boat and birds added movement and life. TFS.
fritzi007 (6081) 2014-04-04 13:25
ein schönes Foto von einer der interessantesten Städte, zwischen zwei Kontinenten, gratuliere vielmals!
- Copyright: Murat Tanyel (mcmtanyel) (14123)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-03-13
- Categories: Transportation
- Camera: Nikon D7000, AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, RAW, Vivitar Series 1 HD CPL 67mm
- Exposure: f/8, 1/250 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2014-03-17 9:01