Photos

Photographer's Note


Istanbul Trip, Day 8, Scene 3

This is the Ortaköy quay area, with my back against the Bosphorus. The brick building on the right is The Marmara Esma Sultan, a cultural center established on the ruins of Esma Sultan Yalısı (Esma Sultan Mansion).

This three-storey brick building was designed by the renowned architect Sarkis Balyan and finished in 1875 next to Ortaköy Mosque. It was presented to Esma Sultan (1873-1899), the daughter of Ottoman Sultan Abdülaziz, as a wedding gift in 1889. The mansion remained in the possession of the Ottoman dynasty until 1915. Since 1915, the mansion was used as a Greek school after 1918, a tobacco depot after 1922; changing hands in the 1950s, it was used as a storage facility and carpenter’s workshop until it was destroyed by a fire in 1975. The ruin, consisting only of the outer walls of the building, was purchased in the early 1990s by The Marmara hotel chain. Following a renovation with additions designed by architect Gökhan Avcıoğlu, the mansion was opened in 2001 as a multipurpose event venue. Within the original brick exterior a steel and glass structure is incorporated.


Ortaköy İskelesi
İstanbul Seyahati, Gün 8, Sahne 3

Bu, arkam Boğaz'a dönük olarak, Ortaköy iskele alanıdır. Sağdaki tuğla bina The Marmara Esma Sultan, Esma Sultan Yalısı yıkıntıları üzerinde kurulmuş bir kültür merkezidir.

Bu üç katlı tuğla bina ünlü mimar Sarkis Balyan tarafından tasarlanmış ve Ortaköy Camisi yanında 1875 yılında tamamlanmıştır. 1889’da Osmanlı Padişahı Sultan Abdülaziz'in kızı Esma Sultan’a (1873-1899) düğün hediyesi olarak sunuldu. Yalı 1915 yılına kadar Osmanlı hanedanının elinde kaldı. 1915 yılından bu yana, yalı 1918’den sonra bir Rum okulu, 1922 yılından sonra bir tütün deposu; 1950'lerde el değiştirerek bir depolama tesisi ve marangoz atölyesi olarak 1975 yılında bir yangın tarafından tahrip edilene dek kullanılmıştır. Sadece binanın dış duvarlarından oluşan harabe The Marmara otel zinciri tarafından 1990'ların başlarında satın alındı. Mimar Gökhan Avcıoğlu tarafından tasarlanan eklemelerle bir yenileme sonrasında, yalı çok amaçlı etkinlik mekanı olarak 2001 yılında açıldı. Orijinal tuğla duvarların içinde bir çelik ve cam yapı kurulmuştur.

pajaran, jhm, ikeharel, kato, kato, jcpix, photoray has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 579
Points: 23
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Murat Tanyel (mcmtanyel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1745 W: 121 N: 3153] (12029)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH