View of the Yeni (New) Mosque from Galata Bridge!
Originally named the Valide Sultan Mosque, it was ordered by Sultana Safiye, who was the wife of Sultan Murad III and later Valide Sultan (Queen Mother) of Sultan Mehmed III. She ordered the mosque in her capacity as Valide Sultan, two years after Mehmed III's ascension to the Ottoman throne in 1595, hence the original formal name "Valide Sultan Mosque".
After 1603, the partially constructed structure gradually fell into ruins; and was severely damaged during the Great Fire of Istanbul (1660) lasting for slightly more than two days (circa 49 hours, according to the chronicles of Abdi Pasha). Later that year, the imperial architect Mustafa Ağa suggested that Sultana Turhan Hatice, mother of Sultan Mehmed IV, should complete the project as a work of piety. Sultana Turhan Hatice also ordered the construction of the nearby Spice Bazaar, which forms a part of the külliye of the New Mosque.
The mosque was finally completed in 1663, and inaugurated in 1665. It was renamed the "New Valide Sultan Mosque" (Yeni Valide Sultan Camii). In time, this name was informally shortened as the "New Mosque" (Yeni Cami) among the public.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) (5582)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2014-06-29
- Categories: Daily Life, Architecture
- Camera: Sony HX200v
- Exposure: f/3.2, 1/13 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Istanbul
- Date Submitted: 2014-07-12 7:45