Photos

Photographer's Note

Istanbul Trip, Day 3, Scene 13

After stopping by two churches, we take a peek into Çiçek Pasajı, a covered arcade with rows of historic cafes, winehouses and restaurants. The day we walked by was not the best for dining out, so the restaurants were "hunting flies" as we say in Turkish.

According to Wikipedia, the site of Çiçek Pasajı was originally occupied by the Naum Theatre, which was frequently visited by Sultans Abdülaziz and Abdülhamid II, and hosted Giuseppe Verdi's opera Il Trovatore before the opera houses of Paris.

After the fire of 1870, the theatre was purchased by the local Greek banker Hristaki Zoğrafos Efendi, and architect Kleanthis Zannos designed the current building, which was called Cité de Péra in its early years. Following the Russian Revolution of 1917, many impoverished noble Russian women, including a Baroness, sold flowers here. By the 1940s the building was mostly occupied by flower shops, hence the present Turkish name Çiçek Pasajı (Flower Arcade).

In the 1950s florists began to shift towards another street and pubs opened in the vacated places. At the end of the 1950s "flower" in its name remained more as a memento, the arcade took on its current identity as a tavern. On May 10, 1978 the neglected building collapsed suddenly in one night, in 1988 it was repaired and restored faithfully and put back into service.


Kutsaldan Dünyeviye
İstanbul Seyahati, Gün 3, Sahne 13

İki kilisede durduktan sonra, biz Çiçek Pasajı'na, sıra sıra tarihi kafeler, meyhaneler ve restoranlar pasajının içine bir göz atıyoruz. Yanından yürüdüğümüz gün dışarıda yemek için iyi değildi, bu yüzden restoranlar bizim Türkçe’de dediğimiz gibi "sinek avlıyorlardı.“

Vikipedi’ye göre, Çiçek Pasajı'nın mekanında ilkönce sık sık Sultan Abdülaziz ve Abdülhamit tarafından ziyaret edilen ve Paris operalarından önce Giuseppe Verdi'nin operası Il Trovatore’yi sahneleyen Naum Tiyatrosu vardı.

1870 yangından sonra, tiyatro yerel Rum banker Hristaki Zografos Efendi tarafından satın alındı ve mimar Kleanthis Zannos ilk yıllarında Cité de Pera denilen mevcut yapıyı tasarladı. 1917 Rus Devrimi ardından, bir Barones de dahil olmak üzere birçok fakir soylu Rus kadın, burada çiçek sattı. 1940'larda bina çoğunlukla çiçek mağazaları tarafından işgal edildi ve dolayısıyla şimdiki Türkçe adı Çiçek Pasajı’nı aldı.

1950'lerde çiçekçiler başka sokaklara doğru kaymaya başlayınca boşalan yerlere meyhaneler açıldı. 1950'lilerin sonunda "Çiçek" adı daha çok bir hatıra olarak kalmıştı, pasaj tümüyle bugünkü meyhane kimliğine büründü. 10 Mayıs 1978'de bir gecede aniden çöken bakımsız bina, 1988'de onarılıp, eski haline sadık kalarak hizmete sokuldu.

elenimavrandoni, ChrisJ, mirosu, TRB, jhm, ikeharel, Subhogen, jcpix has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 422
Points: 34
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by Murat Tanyel (mcmtanyel) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 1544 W: 117 N: 2750] (10591)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH