Photos

Photographer's Note

Türkiye Ermenistan sınırında yer alan Ani harabeleri Kars'a 42 kilometre mesafede. Ermenistan sınırını oluşturan Arpaçay nehri kenarında. Mutlaka görülmesi gereken bir yer.

Ani is a ruined and uninhabited (for three centuries) medieval city-site situated in the Turkish province of Kars, beside the border with Armenia. Ancient historians first mention Ani in the 5th century AD. It was renowned for its splendor and magnificence, had a population of 100,000 - 200,000 people and was the rival of Constantinople, Baghdad and Cairo. It was once the capital of a medieval Armenian kingdom that covered much of present day Armenia and eastern Turkey. The city is located on a triangular site, visually dramatic and naturally defensive, protected on its eastern side by the ravine of the Akhurian River (Turkish: Arpaçay) and on its western side by the Bostanlar or Tzaghkotzadzor valley. The Akhurian is a branch of the Aras River and forms part of the current border between Turkey and Armenia. Called the "City of 1001 Churches", it stood on various trade routes and its many religious buildings, palaces, and fortifications were amongst the most technically and artistically advanced structures in the world.
The construction standing in the front is the mosque of Minuchir (named after its presumed founder, Minuchihr). The minaret of the mosque is still intact. The actual construction date of the mosque is still not clear but dates back to 1070's.
Behind the Minuchir mosque stands the imposing Cathedral of Ani. This is the largest and most important building in Ani, and a structure of world architectural importance. According to various historical sources and inscriptions, it is known that building work started in the year 989 under King Smbat II and was completed, after a halt in construction, by the year 1001 (or 1010 depending on the reading of the inscription) by order of Queen Katranideh (Catherine), the wife of King Gagik Bagratuni, Smbat's successor.
And at the back stands the Church of Redeemer. This large church was completed around the year 1035, and the walls are covered with long and elegantly carved inscriptions that reveal much of its history

ymrk, PaulVDV, dareco, danos, jhm, ahmet54, westcoastgirl1 has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 2395
Points: 30
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by ugur ozkan (anesugur) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 2474 W: 82 N: 1948] (18789)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH