Qala'at Musailaha or Mseilha Fort, also known as "Puy du Connétable" is a medieval stronghold situated north of the city of Batroun in Lebanon. The fort overlooks the Nahr El Jawz valley from atop a steep sided rocky spur. The Crusaders built the first fortifications during the Middle Ages and then it was rebuilt by Emir Fakhreddine II in the 17th century to guard the route from Tripoli to Beirut.
Qala'at Musailaha — Peter van der Wielen @ Panoramio
The Mseilha fort was given to the Genoese Embriaco family who ruled over Gibelet by Bertrand de Saint-Gilles for employing the Genoese fleet in his service during the taking of Tripoli.
Castle Mseilha appears for the first time when the Crusaders had to borrow the narrow passage bypassing the rock of Râs Shaqqa between Nephin and Boutron. The fort, perched on its peak, could not contain the testimony of chronic six men, but they have enough alone "to defend the passage against all those who live in heaven. "(Albert of Aix)
The first Crusaders, while under the protection of the governor of Tripoli, safely crossed the dangerous procession. During the two centuries of Frankish occupation that followed, it seems to be no doubt that the counts of Tripoli did fortify the position, yet the problem remains as to the designation that the Franks gave the site: in Indeed, no source seems to mention the famous Qalaat Mseilha, then appears the "Puy du Constable" (or Puy Guillaume, Password or Saint-Guillaume), located in all likelihood the same place. Recent studies seem to confirm this assertion, the description in the Corbières French sites located on these spurs by "pog" (Montségur) or "puy" (Puy Laurens) provides many examples consistent. In addition to names, the very importance of this narrow defile alone would justify the allocation of the position Constable of Tripoli.
Based on this analysis, it should be attributed to the Mseilha history, the legacy of the citadel called Castrum Constabularii by the Count of Tripoli, Bertrand de Saint Gilles Saint-Laurent Church of Genoa in 1109. This lordship will continue until 1278, the lords of the Puy appearing to date from the County constables.
The castle can be seen today from the edge of the highway, is by no means the work of the Crusaders, but that of the Emir Fakhr el-Din, who refortifa the early seventeenth century several fortresses Frankish ( Beaufort , Cave of Tyron ...) in his rebellion against the Sublime Porte. Nevertheless, clinging to the steep paroies its peak, the fort still retains romantically valley, and its interior offers an amazing maze of corridors and rooms that contrast with the dark streaks of lights of its many loopholes in niches.
Nobody has marked this note useful
- Copyright: Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) (5636)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-08-08
- Categories: Castles
- Camera: Sony CyberShot DSC H50
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/500 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Lebanon
- Theme(s): Lebanon 2010 [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2013-03-15 11:00