Two square towers north of Umm ar-Rasas were probably used by stylite hermits, who once flourished in this part of the world. These hardy souls spent many years living in austerity atop a pillar, often attracting many admirers below. The most famous of these hermits is St. Simeon Stylites whose church still survives in Syria.
These towers are probably the only remains of the practice. They are solid inside except for a small room at the top. The east face has a carved niche and the remaining sides are carved with Greek crosses. East of the towers are various ruins, include a little church with an apse.
- Copyright: Aleksandar Dekanski (dekanski) (5454)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2010-10-11
- Categories: Ruins
- Camera: Sony CyberShot DSC H50
- Exposure: f/5.6, 1/1000 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Map: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Travelogue: Jordan
- Theme(s): Jordan 2010 [view contributor(s)]
- Date Submitted: 2014-05-27 9:55