Sha'ar Harahamim The Golden Gate
Gate of Mercy;
the Gate of Gold;
the Gate of Eternal Life.
These doors have been sealed for hundreds of years and it is said that they will remain so until the coming of the Mashiach (Messiah). According to tradition the Mashiach will enter Jerusalem from the east. The Arabs believed he would come through Sha'ar harachamim. Hoping to prevent the redemption of the Jews they blocked the passageway with great stones.
They also built a cemetery in front of the gate thinking that the Mashiach could not set foot in a cemetery and therefore would not be able to come. They knew that Eliyahu Hanavi who will announce the coming of the Mashiach was a cohen.
- Copyright: Yael Manis (Yael5766) (218)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2008-07-01
- Categories: Event
- Camera: Olympus Camedia D-560 ZOOM, Olympus 40-150mm f3.5-4.5, B&W UV F-Pro 77mm
- Exposure: f/6.3, 1/400 seconds
- More Photo Info: view
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2008-07-02 9:32
- Favorites: 1 [view]