Photos

Photographer's Note

Founders-

Charles Rolls

Charles Rolls studied mechanical engineering at Cambridge. The first undergraduate to own a car, he soon began racing. To fund his passion he set up a dealership, selling mostly foreign cars. His search for a supplier of reliable English cars led to his introduction to Henry Royce.

The first aviator to complete a double-crossing of the English Channel, he was killed in a crash at an air show in July 1910.

Rolls-Royce History Henry Royce
Sir Henry Royce
Known for his attention to detail and pursuit of perfection, Henry Royce registered his first patent (the bayonet lamp socket) in 1887. His company produced dynamos, electrical motors and cranes.

Dissatisfied with his Decauville, Royce decided to improve on it and turned his attention to building the best cars in the world. By 1903 he had designed and built his first engine. His first prototypes took to the road in 1904.

The Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost is epitomising all that is the very best in British engineering. Utmost attention to detail resulted in such an outstanding quality that this motor car rightfully was stated to be "the best car in the world". The first public display of the 40/50 hp model as it was called then was at London's Olympia Motor in November 1906 with deliveries commencing from April 1907. It was this model on which the company's reputation for excellence was based - not at least had added to this record non-stop run carried out by the original R-R Silver Ghost, chassis no. 60551, whose name became a more popular model designation than the company's term 40/50 hp. Steady development resulted in significant improvements in performance and handling. Production continued until 1925.

This one can be seen at Caister Castle Car Museum, Norfolk which has a truly amazing collection.

EstudioChispa has marked this note useful

Photo Information
Viewed: 474
Points: 0
Discussions
  • None
Additional Photos by marion morgan (jester5) Gold Star Critiquer/Gold Star Workshop Editor/Gold Note Writer [C: 96 W: 66 N: 584] (1972)
View More Pictures
explore TREKEARTH