Penclawdd is a small town on the northern edge of the Gower Peninsula on the Loughor Estuary. Most famous recently for it's cockle industry which dates back to Roman times. The Roman fort of Leucarium was a few miles further upstream guarding the strategic crossing of the River Loughor.
Until the end of the 19th century it was a thriving sea port and industrial centre. Coal was mined locally and there were tinplate, brass and copper works.
The foreground water is a creek off the main river estuary and is a popular safe mooring for pleasure craft.
- Copyright: Gerwyn Gibbs (gibbsy) (1535)
- Genre: Places
- Medium: Color
- Date Taken: 2012-10-19
- Categories: Nature
- Camera: nikon d300, AF Nikkor 12-24mm f/4 ED-S DX, Lee Filter System
- Exposure: f/16, 1 seconds
- Details: Tripod: Yes
- Photo Version: Original Version
- Date Submitted: 2012-10-19 12:35