Kelso (Scottish Gaelic: Cealsaidh, Scots: Kelsae)is a market town and civil parish in the Scottish Borders area of Scotland. It lies where the rivers Tweed and Teviot have their confluence. The parish has a population of 6,385; it is regarded as one of the most charming and quaint towns in the area with its cobbled streets, elegant Georgian buildings and French style cobbled market square.
Kelso's other main tourist draws are the ruined Kelso Abbey and Floors Castle, a William Adam designed house completed in 1726. The bridge at Kelso was designed by John Rennie who later built London Bridge.
The town of Kelso came into being as a direct result of the creation of Kelso Abbey in 1128. The town's name stems from the fact that the earliest settlement stood on a chalky outcrop, and the town was known as Calkou (or perhaps Calchfynydd) in those early days.
Standing on the opposite bank of the river Tweed from the now-vanished royal burgh of Roxburgh, Kelso and its sister hamlet of Wester Kelso were linked to the burgh by a ferry at Wester Kelso. A small hamlet existed before the completion of the Abbey in 1128 but the settlement started to flourish with the arrival of the monks. Many were skilled craftsmen, and they helped the local population as the village expanded. The Abbey controlled much of life in Kelso-area burgh of barony, called Holydean, until the Reformation in the 16th century. After that, the power and wealth of the Abbey declined. The Kerr family of Cessford took over the barony and many of the Abbey's properties around the town. By the 17th century, they virtually owned Kelso.
In Roxburgh Street, outside the Haldanes supermarket, is the outline of a horseshoe petrosomatoglyph where the horse of Charles Edward Stuart cast a shoe as he was riding it through the town on his way to Carlisle in 1745. He is also said to have planted a white rosebush in his host's garden, descendants of which are still said to flourish in the neighbourhood.
This is the Cobby Riverside Walk which goes from the town centre to Floors Castle along the banks of the Tweed passing the point where it is joined by the River Teviot. Kelso has two bridges that span the River Tweed, “Rennie’s Bridge” was completed in 1803 to replace an earlier one washed away in the floods of 1797, it was built by John Rennie of Haddington, who later went on to build Waterloo Bridge in London, his bridge in Kelso is a smaller and earlier version of Waterloo Bridge. The bridge was the cause of local rioting in 1854 when the Kelso population objected to paying tolls even when the cost of construction had been covered, the Riot Act was read, three years later tolls were abolished. Hunter’s Bridge, a kilometre downstream, is a modern construction built to take much of the heavy traffic that has damaged Rennie’s bridge by diverting vehicles around the town
Critiques | Translate
isabela_sor (47724) 2012-01-12 7:02
watching your pic, i feel like u applied some glow effect, i like the final result , or maybe is only because of settings,
anyway, the picture is great and thanks for note
all the best
dale54 (6707) 2012-01-12 8:26
marion hi,very nice pic of kelso!this has a very nice color to it&feel to it! great POV too! tfs! dr
brianmcc (6219) 2012-01-12 10:52
this is a lovely scene. the greens in the grass are excellent, the picture is well composed with the buildings superbly focused. really like the placement of the church and its spire reaching into the wonderful sky.
ourania (35832) 2012-01-12 12:10
great POV, framing and sharpness offer a large and lovely view of the town and illustrate many details. The time of the capture was very well chosen. The clouds above the town provide an interesting addition of colour and a natural frame. Lovely harmonious colours.
All the best,
Robert1969 (7160) 2012-02-06 2:01
The open space (the grass) and the very good composition
makes the picture nice calmness and creates (with the
good position) a nice depth in this picture.
Also the light management is very good......Well done.